Tuesday, October 12, 2010
In Which Pregnancy Brain Returneth.
Posted by
Jamie
"Wow, Jamie sure has been doing good," you've been thinking. "Aside from the endless reminders that she thinks she is huge, and the whole falling flat on her belly thing, she's really taking this pregnancy thing in stride. Where are the hormones? The freak outs? The ridiculous "pregnancy brain" events? The tears??? What am I reading this pregnancy blog for, anyway?"
Well my dear friends, you will be relieved to know that the hormonal-crazy has arrived!
It all started last night. We turned on the TV for our traditional post-Gracie-bedtime chill out session with Alex Trebek, but alas! Debates. We may be old-people enough to watch Jeopardy every evening, but we're not old-people enough to enjoy random October Senate debates. Luckily we had just found our misplaced-since-May Jeopardy calendar (a gift), so Steve suggested we take dinner out on the porch and play our own version by catching up on the many months we had missed. (We only made it through a few weeks, by the way... I'm sorry am I trying too hard to convince you we're not geeky? Okay I give, we're kind of geeky.)
We made it through several categories, including Poets, Biblical Cities, "S"panish Words, Compound Words, and "A" in Science before disaster struck during Pasta.
It was my turn to read. The question asked for the name of a pasta named for a barroom tool. As in a tool used in a bar(room). And the pregnancy brain got us started: I read "barroom" like you would say "varoom"... you know, like how a car sounds? And I was totally serious. It didn't even occur to me that it was bar-room. I thought it was some random Italian thing. And then I read stool instead of tool. So we both got the answer wrong (corkscrew, if you were wondering) because we were thinking about kinds of stools you might find in a barroom. Instead of tools. Like a corkscrew.
When I figured out my gaffe, I started laughing. Hysterically. Unstoppably. Until there were tears in my eyes. And then--have you guessed it?--I started crying. And in my brain I was thinking "You don't need to be crying. You are having fun. This is totally your hormones taking over." But on the other hand it suddenly felt really good to cry. Nice and cathartic and such a good release. So Steve came over and held me on his lap and let me have a good cry and lament about how Gracie is growing up so fast and a number of other things totally unrelated to Jeopardy.
And then I recovered myself and we played several more rounds and it was very fun.
Just a few more weeks of this, and maybe I can start behaving like a normal human again. :)
Well my dear friends, you will be relieved to know that the hormonal-crazy has arrived!
It all started last night. We turned on the TV for our traditional post-Gracie-bedtime chill out session with Alex Trebek, but alas! Debates. We may be old-people enough to watch Jeopardy every evening, but we're not old-people enough to enjoy random October Senate debates. Luckily we had just found our misplaced-since-May Jeopardy calendar (a gift), so Steve suggested we take dinner out on the porch and play our own version by catching up on the many months we had missed. (We only made it through a few weeks, by the way... I'm sorry am I trying too hard to convince you we're not geeky? Okay I give, we're kind of geeky.)
We made it through several categories, including Poets, Biblical Cities, "S"panish Words, Compound Words, and "A" in Science before disaster struck during Pasta.
It was my turn to read. The question asked for the name of a pasta named for a barroom tool. As in a tool used in a bar(room). And the pregnancy brain got us started: I read "barroom" like you would say "varoom"... you know, like how a car sounds? And I was totally serious. It didn't even occur to me that it was bar-room. I thought it was some random Italian thing. And then I read stool instead of tool. So we both got the answer wrong (corkscrew, if you were wondering) because we were thinking about kinds of stools you might find in a barroom. Instead of tools. Like a corkscrew.
When I figured out my gaffe, I started laughing. Hysterically. Unstoppably. Until there were tears in my eyes. And then--have you guessed it?--I started crying. And in my brain I was thinking "You don't need to be crying. You are having fun. This is totally your hormones taking over." But on the other hand it suddenly felt really good to cry. Nice and cathartic and such a good release. So Steve came over and held me on his lap and let me have a good cry and lament about how Gracie is growing up so fast and a number of other things totally unrelated to Jeopardy.
And then I recovered myself and we played several more rounds and it was very fun.
Just a few more weeks of this, and maybe I can start behaving like a normal human again. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
hahaha please share future pregnancy brain moments, I love them! Probably because I can so relate and remember very similar moments I had when I was pregnant. You are so cute Jamie!
ReplyDelete