Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Charles in Charge

So, I have now officially been having contractions (or Braxton-Hicks, if you prefer) for over a week. Twice now they've been close enough that I felt absolutely sure we were having a baby that night. The most recent such event was Sunday night, when they were coming 3-4 minutes apart, and before that I thought I might miss our baby shower last Wednesday because they were 4-6. I have literally been on the phone with a nurse packing, expecting that her advice of a heating pad or laying down would not calm the fury of tummy-tightening.

Sara feeling some Charlie bamps AND some contractions at last week's baby shower.

I'm not going to lie--I got pretty excited. (Well, excited and freaked out--can't say I'm totally stoked to face labor pains quite yet.) I can't wait to meet this sweet little guy, and to start recovering my natural less-watermelon-like shape. And sleep on my tummy. And eat raw cookie dough. And be able to give Steve normal hugs instead of having to turn to the side. However, as time wears on, it has finally become apparent to me that I am not in charge (at all), and Charlie apparently is not baked enough yet to leave his bun-like state.

So, note to self: Jamie, you have contractions for a long time before your babies come. Chill out. I bet you will notice they are painful before the baby is born, and probably won't give birth in a car or anything. Also you will be very tired--do not be shocked by this. A cute baby is coming--it is worth it. Also you will not want to cook--make freezer meals in your second trimester.

On the upside, all this contracting has really gotten us moving on our baby preparations. We finally hung some artwork in Charlie's room, have washed a ton of blankets and NB/0-3 sized clothes for him, bought him several necessities like NB sized diapers and a little bathtub, and have been thinking a lot about how to get his nursery finished. I panic-packed my hospital bag and Gracie's overnight bag, and got as much of my labor bag ready as I could in advance. We've made some freezer meals (though not as many as I would like). And we've nested in other places around the house, too--tidying, hanging pictures, setting up a cute chair in the living room. Steve is a good nesting companion.

I have a doctor appointment tomorrow that will hopefully give us some insight into how close this little guy might be to selecting a birthday. We'll let you know when Charlie decides to make his debut, and in the meantime, I will try not to be so crabby that my baby isn't magically arriving early. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment