Friday, June 18, 2010
Heartbeat
Posted by
Jamie
Last Thursday I went in for my first real-deal doctor appointment of this pregnancy. It seemed kind of crazy to be doing the first one at 14 weeks along, but I guess things are just different in the NC. The practice I ended up at here is full of male doctors, and as I was driving over I started to panic and began wondering how to switch to a different one. I had a bad experience with a male OB once, and it has made me super prejudiced.
Then I met my doctor, and he was so nice and the exam was the fastest, most painless one I've ever had. Serves me right for being a doubter. I guess I'll stick around over there. Plus, every single exam room at this place has a bathroom attached to it. If you have ever been pregnant or been married to someone pregnant, you understand how awesome it is to have easy, constant access to a bathroom. Pretty sweet!
The highlight of the day, though, was hearing our baby's heartbeat. With no ultrasounds until the gender-revealing one in July, and not even another doctor visit before this one, this pregnancy has seemed much less real than the one with Gracie (where we got our first ultrasound at 5 weeks, second one at 8). So when the nurse slid the doppler around my stomach and finally found its heartbeat... It was amazing. I got misty eyed for sure, and I felt the same sense of awe and wonder that I did when we heard Grace for the first time:
There is a teeny little person growing inside me!!!
I recorded the woosh woosh wooshing for Steve on my phone and texted it to him immediately. It was bittersweet, hearing it alone. Wonderful, but missing something. I love how enthusiastic Steve gets about our babies, and I love having him come along to hear the heartbeat together. He will be able to hear it in person in a couple weeks, though, and that will be lovely.
Doctor said everything looks good. I'm measuring the right size, right on track (I'm fifteen weeks today), my blood levels look good, weight gain (4lbs in the first trimester) is fine, and baby's heartbeat is moving right along. Feeling pretty lucky. :)
Then I met my doctor, and he was so nice and the exam was the fastest, most painless one I've ever had. Serves me right for being a doubter. I guess I'll stick around over there. Plus, every single exam room at this place has a bathroom attached to it. If you have ever been pregnant or been married to someone pregnant, you understand how awesome it is to have easy, constant access to a bathroom. Pretty sweet!
The highlight of the day, though, was hearing our baby's heartbeat. With no ultrasounds until the gender-revealing one in July, and not even another doctor visit before this one, this pregnancy has seemed much less real than the one with Gracie (where we got our first ultrasound at 5 weeks, second one at 8). So when the nurse slid the doppler around my stomach and finally found its heartbeat... It was amazing. I got misty eyed for sure, and I felt the same sense of awe and wonder that I did when we heard Grace for the first time:
There is a teeny little person growing inside me!!!
I recorded the woosh woosh wooshing for Steve on my phone and texted it to him immediately. It was bittersweet, hearing it alone. Wonderful, but missing something. I love how enthusiastic Steve gets about our babies, and I love having him come along to hear the heartbeat together. He will be able to hear it in person in a couple weeks, though, and that will be lovely.
Doctor said everything looks good. I'm measuring the right size, right on track (I'm fifteen weeks today), my blood levels look good, weight gain (4lbs in the first trimester) is fine, and baby's heartbeat is moving right along. Feeling pretty lucky. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Glad everything is going well. You look very cute pregnant. With Brin there in NC I had my first ultra sound at 5 weeks, then 8 weeks, 10 weeks, then every 2-4 weeks after that through 24 weeks. I just think it depends on the practice and patient history. My doc was a male doctor (in fact all my docs - all 8 of them spread out through 7 specialties at Wake - were male). I really loved them all especially Drs- Lord, Knudson, and Rauck.
ReplyDeleteGood Luck with everything.